You cannot make Remembrance grow — Remembrance Book

You cannot make Remembrance grow 1
When it has lost its Root-
The tightening the Soil around
And setting it upright
Deceives perhaps the Universe 5
But not retrieves the Plant-
Real Memory, like Cedar Feet
Is shod with Adamant-
Nor can you cut Remembrance down 9
When it shall once have grown-
Its Iron Buds will sprout anew
However overthrown-
(F.1536/J.1508)
[1] Remembrance:: remembrance flower, a flower plucked for memory of a person.
[9] Remembrance:: remembrance book, a memorial book.
[10] grown:: started to print.
[11] Iron Buds:: types, small metal blocks used in printing.

And the, at sunset hour,
I would have ye sometimes come,
And pluck from thence a remembrance flower,
To bear in your bosom home: ─ Godey's Magazine (1852)

I loved her; she did me good. I wished that I also could be inscribed on a leaf of her remembrance-book. ─ Fredrika Bremer's works (1852)

No, said the woman, do not write down my old sinful name, but pray to the Lord, that He may give me a new one, and then write that into your remembrance-book. ─ Periodical Accounts (1806)