I saw that the Flake was on it — Shirley

I saw that the Flake was on it 1
But plotted with Time to dispute-
"Unchanged" I urged with a candor
That cost me my honest Heart-

But "you"-she returned with valor 5
Sagacious of my mistake
"Have altered-Accept the pillage
For the progress' sake"-
(F.1304/J.1267)
[1] I:: Robert Gerard Moore, in Shirley (1849) by Charlotte Bronte. Flake:: a particle of incandescent matter, to become a fire.
[2] dispute:: Robert Moore had dispute with his workers, a labor dispute. Time:: sentence of time in prison; Moore tried to put riotous workers to jail.
[5] she:: Shirley Keeldar.
[7] pillage:: the workers who pillaged Robert Moore's factory for living.
[8] progress:: the relationship between the labor and capital. Robert Moore changed his attitude to workers at the end.

"Caroline, the houseless, the starving, the unemployed shall come to Hollow's mill from far and near; and Joe Scott shall give them work, and Louis Moore, Esq., shall let them a tenement, and Mrs. Gill shall mete them a portion till the first pay-day." ─ Shirley. A Tale by Currer Bell (1849)