I started Early Took my Dog — Tide-Waiter

I started Early-Took my Dog-1
And visited the Sea-
The Mermaids in the Basement
Came out to look at me-

And Frigates-in the Upper Floor 5
Extended Hempen Hands-
Presuming Me to be a Mouse-
Aground-upon the Sands-

But no Man moved Me-till the Tide 9
Went past my simple Shoe-
And past my Apron-and my Belt-
And past my Bodice-too-

And made as He would eat me up-13
As wholly as a Dew
Upon a Dandelion's Sleeve-
And then-I started-too-

And He-He followed-close behind-17
I felt his Silver Heel
Upon my Ankle-Then my Shoes
Would overflow with Pearl-

Until We met the Solid Town-21
No One He seemed to know-
And bowing-with a Might look-
At me-The Sea withdrew-
(F.656/J.520)
[2] Sea:: a seaport, harbor.
[3] Mermaids:: mermaid-fish, a monk-fish or angel-fish.
[5] Frigates:: frigate-birds; both mermaid-fish and frigate-bird are large preyers.
[3–5] Mermaids can mean prostitudes, who came out to see a girl in the red-light district; in this case, frigates alludes to men worked in a frigate, sailors. The girl walked from a harbor's bawdy district to a scrupulous town.
[6] Hempen Hands:: strong and tight claws.
[7] Mouse:: a prey in their eyes.
[9] Tide:: a tide-waiter, one who waits for a favourable season; a customs inspector at a seaport.
[10–12] past, Shoe, Apron, Belt, Bodice:: she was lying on the sand.
[16] started:: began to move.
[21] Solid Town:: a town of scrupulous people, contrast to the harbor of sailors.
[24] Sea:: a seaman, who waits in the harbor for affair as a tide-waiter.

"Romeo and Juliet?" I suggested. "Psha! Mr. Pop; don't you remember how they turned out-Romeo became a tide-waiter in Venice, and Juliet married an apothecary." ─ A Great Humiliation. The Illustrated Dublin Journal (1862)