I play at Riches to appease — Checkered Game of Life

I play at Riches-to appease 1
The Clamoring for Gold-
It kept me from a Thief, I think,
For often, overbold

With Want, and Opportunity-5
I could have done a Sin
And been Myself that easy Thing
An independent Man-

But often as my lot displays 9
Too hungry to be borne
I deem Myself what I would be-
And novel Comforting

My Poverty and I derive-13
We question if the Man-
Who own-Esteem the Opulence-
As We-Who never Can-

Should ever these exploring Hands 17
Chance Sovereign on a Mine-
Or in the long-uneven term
To win, become their turn-

How fitter they will be-for Want-21
Enlightening so well-
I know not which, Desire, or Grant-
Be wholly beautiful-
(F.856/J.801)
[1] play, Riches:: to play a board game called The Checkered Game of Life by Milton Bradley in 1860.
[2] Gold:: players collect points in the game.
[5, 6] Want, Opportunity, Sin:: instructions of the tiles.
[8] An independent Man:: a pawn, player's piece on the board.
[9] lot:: the teetotum, a six sided spinner used in the game.
[14–16] Man, own, Opulence, We never:: the pawn in the game can be rich, but the players never.
[17] exploring Hands:: there are tiles with a drawing hand as instruction, e.g. to Ruin, to Success, etc.

Tiles in the game: Wealth (10 points), Matrimony, Gambling (to Ruin), Happy Old Age (50), Perseverance (to Success), Truth, Politics (to Congress), Intemperance (to Poverty), Crime (to Prison), Happiness (5), Idleness (to Disgrace), Success (5), Congress (5), Honor (5), Cupid (to Matrimony), Speculation or Government Contract (to Wealth), Honesty (to Happiness), Industry (to Wealth), Bravery (to Honor), Ruin, Poverty, Ambition (to fame), College (5), Suicide, School (to College), Influence (to Fat Office), Fame, Fat Office (5), Infancy, Disgrace, Jail, Prison (lose one move).

The New England and National Games.
CHECKERED GAME OF LIFE. Ages, 5 to 50. Price $1.00.
CHECKERED GAME OF LIFE. Ages, Extra, with muslin board and album box; elegant for a present; same game as above. $2.00. ─ Popular Pastimes for Field and Fireside (1867)