It was not Death, for I stood up — Pipe Organ

It was not Death, for I stood up, 1
And all the Dead, lie down-
It was not Night, for all the Bells
Put out their Tongues, for Noon.

It was not Frost, for on my Flesh 5
I felt Siroccos-crawl-
Nor Fire-for just my Marble feet
Could keep a Chancel, cool-

And yet, it tasted, like them all, 9
The Figures I have seen
Set orderly, for Burial,
Reminded me, of mine-

As if my life were shaven, 13
And fitted to a frame,
And could not breathe without a key,
And 'twas like Midnight, some -

When everything that ticked-has stopped-17
And Space stares all around-
Or Grisly frosts-first Autumn morns,
Repeal the Beating Ground-

But, most, like Chaos - Stopless-cool-21
Without a Change, or Spar-
Or even a Report of Land-
To justify-Despair.
(F.355/J.510)
[1] I:: a pipe organ.
[1, 2] stood up, lie down:: a pipe organ is standing as if alive.
[3, 4] Bells, Noon:: a hint on a church where the organ is placed and used in noon time.
[5, 6] Frost, Siroccos:: the dry warm wind that drives the organ.
[7] marble feet:: the organ's feet that made of marble.
[8] Chancel:: the place to put the altar or communion table in a church.
[9] tasted, like them all:: the organ has tasted death, darkness, chilliness, and fire.
[10, 11] Figures, Burial:: the organ witnesses many burials.
[13, 14] my life were shaven, frame:: the process of an organ construction.
[15] breathe, key:: a pipe organ functions with key and air.
[23] Report:: an explosive noise.
[24] Despair:: something unmatchable.