It ceased to hurt me, though so slow — Bustle

It ceased to hurt me, though so slow 1
I could not feel the Anguish go-
But only knew by looking back-
That something-had benumbed the Track-

Nor when it altered, I could say, 5
For I had worn it, every day,
As constant as the Childish frock-
I hung upon the Peg, at night.

But not the Grief-that nestled close 9
As needles-ladies softly press
To Cushions Cheeks-
To keep their place-

Nor what consoled it, I could trace-13
Except, whereas 'twas Wilderness-
It's better-almost Peace-
(F.421/J.584)
[1] It:: a bustle, hoop.
[3, 4] back, obscured:: the bustle changes a lady's back lower shape.
[5] altered:: the bustle's size will not change.
[13] consoled:: supported.

The Patent Adjustable Bustle, figured below, recommends itself on grounds of health as well as convenience. The size can be regulated by means of a lace passing across the back. It is made either separate or attached to the skirt. Its pliableness and elasticity are such, that while the whole garment may be compressed into a small bonnet box, it instantly expands on being released from pressure. ─ Harper's Magazine (1858)