If you were coming in the Fall — Calendar

If you were coming in the Fall, 1
I'd brush the Summer by
With half a smile, and half a spurn,
As Housewives do, a Fly.

If I could see you in a year, 5
I'd wind the months in balls-
And put them each in separate Drawers,
For fear the numbers fuse-

If only Centuries, delayed, 9
I'd count them on my Hand,
Subtracting, till my fingers dropped
Into Van Dieman's Land.

If certain, when this life was out-; 13
That yours and mine, should be
I'd toss it yonder, like a Rind,
And take Eternity-

But, now, uncertain of the length 17
Of this, that is between,
It goads me, like the Goblin Bee-
That will not state-its sting.
(F.356/J.511)
[1] the fall:: the calendar's hanging method, wall-mounting.
[2] Summer:: a beam, timber placed horizontally in a building.
[4] Fly:: a piece of cloth.
[5, 6] year, months:: a twelve-month calendar.
[9] Centuries:: a very long delay of a new calendar.
[11, 12] fingers, Land:: fingers to a fist, though still cannot count the date.
[12] Van Dieman's Land:: bottom of the Earth.
[13] life was out:: the calendar was out of date.
[16] take Eternity:: without counting date.
[17, 18] uncertain, between:: the old and new calendar.

VAN DIEMAN'S LAND, OR TASMANIA. This is a pleasant little island, much smaller than Britain, yet very much like it in climate, for it is cool, and sometimes cold. It is, however, warmer than England. ─ Far off By Favell Lee Mortimer (1860)