I shall keep singing — European Robin

I shall keep singing! 1
Birds will pass me
On their way to Yellower Climes-
Each-with a Robin's expectation-
I-with my Redbreast-
And my Rhymes-

Late-when I take my place in summer-7
But-I shall bring a fuller tune-
Vespers-are sweeter than Matins-Signor-
Morning-only the seed of Noon-
(F.270/J.250)
[1] I:: an European robin, nested near house through winter.
[2] Birds:: other migratory birds.
[3] Yellower:: warmer.
[4] Robin:: a migratory thrush. expectation:: a warm climate.
[7] summer:: a beam of a house.
[9] Vespers:: evening songs of a bird. matins:: morning songs of a bird.

The European robin is a smaller bird than ours, and lives through the year as far north as England, cheering his native fields with a simple lay even during the cold weather: his habits are different from those of our own bird; . . . For two summers in succession, we had a nest on a window-sill of the second story, and this spring two pairs seem to be building about the eaves; ─ Rural Hours By Susan Fenimore Cooper (1850)

It is little more than half the size of the migratory thrush, which we call Robin, and sometimes Robin Redbreast. The song of the European robin is sweet and plaintive; it rises early and goes to bed late; breeds early in spring; makes its nest of moss, leaves, and grass, lined with hair and feathers; lays five to seven yellowish-brown eggs; and loves to dwell and nestle near to man-in the hedges around the house, and the trees of the garden. It is easily tamed, and its air of sprightliness and confidence renders it a great favorite. ─ Illustrated Natural History of the Animal Kingdom (1859)