I rose because He sank — Cicada's Molting

I rose-because He sank-1
I thought it would be opposite-
But when his power dropped-
My Soul grew straight.

I cheered my fainting Prince-5
I sang firm-even-Chants-
I helped his Film-with Hymn-

And when the Dews drew off 8
That held his Forehead stiff-
I met him-
Balm to Balm-

I told him Best-must pass 12
Through this low Arch of Flesh-
No Casque so brave
It spurn the Grave-

I told him Worlds I knew 16
Where Emperors grew-
Who recollected us
If we were true-

And so with Thews of Hymn-20
And Sinew from within-
And ways I knew not that I knew-till then-
I lifted Him-
(F.454/J.616)
[1] I, Him:: the adult cicada (Him) sunk inside its nymph; the nymph (I) rose for preparing to molt.
[3] power dropped:: pause of the molting seemed like losing power.
[7] Film:: the adult cicada's wing.
[11] Balm to Balm:: balm-cricket, or cicada. The cicada before and after its molt.
[13] Through, Flesh:: molting by breaking through the nymph's back.
[17] Emperors:: emperor butterflies.
[23] lifted:: its skin remained on surface with its shape intact, while the adult breaking from the skin looks like being lifted.