I dreaded that first Robin, so — Queen of the Meadow

I dreaded that first Robin, so, 1
But He is mastered, now,
I'm accustomed to Him grown,
He hurts a little, though-

I thought If I could only live 5
Till that first Shout got by-
Not all Pianos in the Woods
Had power to mangle me-

I dared not meet the Daffodils-9
For fear their Yellow Gown
Would pierce me with a fashion
So foreign to my own-

I wished the Grass would hurry-13
So-when 'twas time to see-
He'd be too tall, the tallest one
Could stretch-to look at me-

I could not bear the Bees should come, 17
I wished they'd stay away
In those dim countries where they go,
What word had they, for me?

They're here, though; not a creature failed-21
No Blossom stayed away
In gentle deference to me-
The Queen of Calvary-

Each one salutes me, as he goes, 25
And I, my childish Plumes,
Lift, in bereaved acknowledgment
Of their unthinking Drums-
(F.347/J.348)
[1] I:: Queen of the meadow, or meadow-sweet.
[2] He:: a bird, robin, nesting on the meadow-sweet.
[3] grown:: the robin nestling there.
[6] first Shout:: the robin's first hatch.
[15] He, tall:: the grass will be tall enough to cover the meadow-sweet.
[17–20] not bear, word:: the meadow-sweet is embarassed being nested by a bird.
[24] Queen:: Queen of the meadow.
[25] he goes:: the robin leaves.
[26] Plumes:: tha plant's flowers look like plumes.

So the boat floated quietly on, till they came to the little island they had called 'Meadow-sweet,' from its being in summer and autumn a feathery mass of white foam-like plumes of that beautiful 'Queen of the meadow.' ─ The Monthly Packet of Evening Readings (1854)

When the gardener took away the old turf, he found a robin's nest with four eggs, in the grass; he took it up very carefully, and carried it to ano?ther part of the lawn, which was finished. ─ Natural History in Stories for Little Children (1854)