One Sister have I in our house — Lavinia and Poetry

One Sister have I in our house, 1
And one, a hedge away.
There's only one recorded,
But both belong to me.

One came the road that I came-5
And wore my last year's gown-
The other, as a bird her nest,
Builded our hearts among.

She did not sing as we did-9
It was a different tune-
Herself to her a music
As Bumble bee of June.

Today is far from Childhood-13
But up and down the hills
I held her hand the tighter-
Which shortened all the miles-

And still her hum 17
The years among,
Deceives the Butterfly;
Still in her Eye
The Violets lie
Mouldered this many May.

I spilt the dew-23
But took the morn-
I chose this single star
From out the wide night's numbers-
Sue - forevermore!
(F.5/J.14)
[1] Sister:: Dickinson's sister Lavinia Dickinson.
[3] only one recorded:: the other is not a person, but poetry.
[7] as a bird:: not a bird but alike.
[19] Deceives:: by riddled words. Butterfly:: fancy people.
[20] Eye:: observation or opinion about the world.
[21] Violets:: modesty, timidity.
[22] May:: the prime of life.
[25] single star:: a lonely fate.
[26] wide:: loose, immoral. night:: darkness.
[27] Sue:: to pursue, seek (her ideal poetry).