I have a Bird in spring — Benjamin Franklin Newton

I have a Bird in spring 1
Which for myself doth sing-
The spring decoys.
And as the summer nears-
And as the Rose appears,
Robin is gone.

Yet do I not repine 7
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown-
Learneth beyond the sea
Melody new for me
And will return.

Fast is a safer hand 13
Held in a truer Land
Are mine-
And though they now depart,
Tell I my doubting heart
They're thine.

In a serener Bright, 19
In a more golden light
I see
Each little doubt and fear,
Each little discord here
Removed.

Then will I not repine, 25
Knowing that Bird of mine
Though flown
Shall in a distant tree
Bright melody for me
Return.
(F.4/J.5)
[1–30] Benjamin Franklin Newton, whom Dickinson called the "first of my own friends," died on March 24, 1853. This poem was written in September 1854.
[1] Bird:: a young man. spring:: a snare, noose; Newton was trapped by her.
[3] decoy:: a hint on spring as a snare.
[4] summer near, gone:: Newton died just before summer.
[6] Robin:: a man; a common person's name.
[8] that Bird of mine:: she considers Newton was for her.
[11, 12] new, return:: probably a play of Newton.
[30] Return:: probably a word play of Newton at the end.

"When a little Girl, I had a friend, who taught me Immortality-but venturing too near, himself-he never returned." (ED's Letter 261, April 25, 1862)

"Oh Austin, Newton is dead. The first of my own friends. Pace." (ED's Letter 110, March 27, 1853)