They have not chosen me, he said — Virgin Mary

"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," said Jesus to His disciples in Jerusalem. In this poem, "They have not chosen me" is placed in Bethlehem, but to whom? Bethlehem is Jesus' birthplace. They are Mary and Joseph.

Bethlehem or Jerusalem may be a miss; however, Jesus dared strengthens Dickinson's intention. The "I" in line five is Virgin Mary, the only one who can say Jesus dared in Jesus' childhood. Mary's pregnancy was a dishonor in her time from other's view, thought no more today.

"They have not chosen me," he said, 1
"But I have chosen them!"
Brave-Broken hearted statement-
Uttered in Bethlehem!

I could not have told it, 5
But since Jesus dared
Sovereign! Know a Daisy
Thy dishonor shared!
(F.87/J.85)
[1] They:: Mary and Joseph. he:: not capitalized, Jesus in his childhood.
[2] I have chosen them:: Jesus had chosen Mary and Joseph.
[3] Broken hearted statement:: the statement broke the mother's heart.
[4] Beethleem:: the birthplace of Jesus.
[5] I:: Mary the mother of Jesus. could not have told it:: Mary didn't tell Jesus about Joseph's dream, "that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." (Matthew 1:20)
[6] Jesus dared:: Jesus dared to say the statement in line 1 and 2.
[7] Daisy:: a first-rate thing or person (OED 5), indicating Mary.
[8] dishonor:: a virgin found pregnant before marriage, a dishonor for Mary in her time, for "Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." (Matthew 1:19)

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. (John 15:16)