When I hoped I feared — Hamlet

Every poem of Dickinson combines a riddle with her own life. She twisted her poems toward that goal. Following two scenes in Hamlet are used to show her forgiveness and persistence. To decode what exactly she tried to say is possible after enough riddles are solved.

Both poems here are solved by the word serpent, a treacherous man, indicating Claudius in the play.

When I hoped I feared-1
Since I hoped I dared
Everywhere alone
As a Church remain-
Spectre cannot harm-5
Serpent cannot charm-
He deposes Doom
Who hath suffered him-
(F.594/J.1181)
[1] I:: the young Hamlet. This poem is about Hamlet (I), his father (Spectre), and King Claudius (Serpent). hoped, feared:: Hamlet hoped to see his father's ghost, but with fear.
[2, 3] hoped, dared, alone:: he hoped to revenge, and dared to meet the ghost alone, and alone he revenged.
[4] a Church remain:: a change from glory to waste; young Hamlet failed to succeed the throne of Denmark after his father's death.
[5] Spectre:: the ghost, old Hamlet.
[6] Serpent:: King Claudius. "A Serpent stung me" said the ghost to Hamlet, that Claudius murdered him.
[6] cannot charm:: young Hamlet was not charmed by Claudius' words.
[7] He deposes Doom:: the ghost testified (deposed) his doom fate to young Hamlet.
[8] Who suffered him:: the ghost told Hamlet who w s the murderer.